Monday 6 October 2014

I'm a terrible blogger. I admit it. I had planned a whole 'victory in the referendum' post, but I just didn't get round to it. But I think I'm ok with it...I don't need to pressure myself into posting all the time...this is my own blog after all!

So today I'm blogging (briefly - have to start making dinner!) about the Kiltwalk! Yesterday was Dundee's first ever Kiltwalk, which although gruelling, I thoroughly enjoyed taking part in it. The 25.8 miles started well enough, up a slight incline through a muddy trail in the forest. It then levelled out and after hitting the streets for a few miles, I ended up walking in the sunshine by the sea. I had my headphones on but for this I just had to soak it all up. After the seaside trail ended and I reached the '10 miles left' marker, that's when the pain started. I tried to ignore it but I just couldn't. It was by no means, my 'wall', but I seriously just wanted to be at the finishing line. The period of time between 10 to 4 miles remaining was a black-spot to me, more because I was trying to think of ways to stop being in pain without stopping...of course that was never going to work!

I hit 'the wall' during the last Kiltwalk in April. I physically felt like I couldn't move another inch, and that was with 15 miles remaining. This time I was still walking at pace at that point and was feeling good. Comparatively, I think did better as I definitely did not fell like that at any point yesterday!

When I reached the 4 mile marker I started to get back a little momentum. I knew I was making good time so I allowed myself to slow a little. After the 10 mile marker I'd been averaging around 15 mins per mile so after the 4 mile point I made sure I slowed even further.

The eventual entrance back in to the park was a massive hill. You'd think that would have been difficult but it was actually a relief from having walked on flat ground for the majority of the day. It was walking on downward slopes that I couldn't manage.

As I got to the finish line I heard my name being announced...my partner had asked the radio DJ who was 'guesting' at the event to say a few words for me! As I sprinted to the cross the line (yes, despite the pain, I ran for it!) it was the best feeling ever. All that hard work finally over, but at the same time I felt so proud. As well as having raised so much money for childrens' charities, this for me is a huge, physical and mental achievement.

So there it was, the Kiltwalk, Dundee 2014. Started at 9am and finished 7 hours and 10 mins later at 16.10. Couldn't be happier!


No comments:

Post a Comment